Newport 4020 and project builders use of waffle slabs

bayside

Newport 4020 and project builders use of waffle slabs

Post by bayside » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:18 pm

Am looking at building with one of the large project builders (name withheld) at Newport, QLD on a 400sqm (non-waterfront) block - nothing signed yet. The Stockland land sales guy told me if i didnt like waffle slabs then i could tell the recommended builder I wanted to use an alternative ie raft slab.
So I called the builder's mobile sales consultant and he firstly tried to tell me that raft slab = waffle slab and then proceeded to tell me that his company would likely pass on me as a client if i were to insist on using a non-waffle slab.
He told me that only a waffle slab could be used because of the nature of the Newport land that would still be "compressing" after the build which meant that only a "floating" style waffle pod slab could be used.
He said that his company uses waffle slabs based off the advice of an engineering firm (name withheld ) who guaranteed them for life.
He said that 1000s of homes were to be built on waffle pod slabs which meant the builders and engineers had to be right in using them.
Do you really think a major project builder would pass on me even if i offered to pay the difference to over engineer my own foundations?
Thanks